Columns
Residents' Association Image

Residents' Association

Congratulations Martin Foley!
Read more >>

Business in Southbank Image

Business in Southbank

A Wellness Campus for Southbank
Read more >>

St Johns Southgate Image

St Johns Southgate

Baubles and bollards
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

Happy with your OC manager? Most are
Read more >>

Montague Community Alliance Image

Montague Community Alliance

It really is the season to be festive!
Read more >>

Metro Tunnel

New cadets start their journey
Read more >>

Federal Politics Image

Federal Politics

Stand together against Jihadist terror
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Now Labor can work with residents
Read more >>

Southbanker Image

Southbanker

Spreading the word from the heartland
Read more >>

Housing Image

Housing

We are leaving an intergenerational time bomb for our children
Read more >>

History Image

History

Workhorses of industry in Southbank
Read more >>

Safety and Security

Merry Christmas from Southbank Police
Read more >>

Yarra River Business Association Image

Yarra River Business Association

Reflecting on the past 20 years
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

Authenticity: what does it really mean and how do I get more of it?
Read more >>

Skypad Living Image

Skypad Living

Luv thy NABERS (for apartments)
Read more >>

Southbank Fashion Image

Southbank Fashion

Spring racing in Southbank
Read more >>

Street Smarts Image

Street Smarts

Power Street – Southbank
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

Tram shame
Read more >>

Sacred Sites

18 Feb 2014

In the shadows of the high-rise apartment buildings down the southern end of City Road is a stunning building that is now home to a costume shop.

The shop facade, at 235-239 City Rd was built in 1903 and is heritage listed because of its classical revival architectural style.

The building started its life in the same way many did in the South Melbourne region in those days, as a pub and hotel.

The site had a pub on it from as early as 1869, but Emily and James Rubina erected the current building. When it was built, it was considered a feature of the south bank of the Yarra River.

It operated as a hotel until 1926, when it was de-licensed because the Licences Reduction Board felt not every building in South Melbourne needed to be a pub. Bloody bureaucrats!

Stay in touch with Southbank. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Southbank Local News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.