Columns
Residents' Association Image

Residents' Association

Congratulations Martin Foley!
Read more >>

Business in Southbank Image

Business in Southbank

A Wellness Campus for Southbank
Read more >>

St Johns Southgate Image

St Johns Southgate

Baubles and bollards
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

Happy with your OC manager? Most are
Read more >>

Montague Community Alliance Image

Montague Community Alliance

It really is the season to be festive!
Read more >>

Metro Tunnel

New cadets start their journey
Read more >>

Federal Politics Image

Federal Politics

Stand together against Jihadist terror
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Now Labor can work with residents
Read more >>

Southbanker Image

Southbanker

Spreading the word from the heartland
Read more >>

Housing Image

Housing

We are leaving an intergenerational time bomb for our children
Read more >>

History Image

History

Workhorses of industry in Southbank
Read more >>

Safety and Security

Merry Christmas from Southbank Police
Read more >>

Yarra River Business Association Image

Yarra River Business Association

Reflecting on the past 20 years
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

Authenticity: what does it really mean and how do I get more of it?
Read more >>

Skypad Living Image

Skypad Living

Luv thy NABERS (for apartments)
Read more >>

Southbank Fashion Image

Southbank Fashion

Spring racing in Southbank
Read more >>

Street Smarts Image

Street Smarts

Power Street – Southbank
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

Tram shame
Read more >>

Sacred Sites

14 Jul 2014

This location was purchased in 1874 and the two and a half acres was used to build State School 2686.

The school amalgamated with the Eastern Road State School in 1929. It was converted into the Domestic Arts School in July 1930 and then two years later it was renamed J.H. Boyd Domestic College.

In 1979 the school became the J.H. Boyd Girls High School, named after Boyd, a patron who gave substantial funds to the school so it could train women “to manage a home correctly”.

The school was closed shortly after in 1985 where it remained abandoned until being transformed into the Boyd

Community Centre Hub as we know it today.

The original building was known as one of the most distinctive school buildings ever created in South Melbourne.

Stay in touch with Southbank. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Southbank Local News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.