Columns
Residents' Association Image

Residents' Association

Congratulations Martin Foley!
Read more >>

Business in Southbank Image

Business in Southbank

A Wellness Campus for Southbank
Read more >>

St Johns Southgate Image

St Johns Southgate

Baubles and bollards
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

Happy with your OC manager? Most are
Read more >>

Montague Community Alliance Image

Montague Community Alliance

It really is the season to be festive!
Read more >>

Metro Tunnel

New cadets start their journey
Read more >>

Federal Politics Image

Federal Politics

Stand together against Jihadist terror
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Now Labor can work with residents
Read more >>

Southbanker Image

Southbanker

Spreading the word from the heartland
Read more >>

Housing Image

Housing

We are leaving an intergenerational time bomb for our children
Read more >>

History Image

History

Workhorses of industry in Southbank
Read more >>

Safety and Security

Merry Christmas from Southbank Police
Read more >>

Yarra River Business Association Image

Yarra River Business Association

Reflecting on the past 20 years
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

Authenticity: what does it really mean and how do I get more of it?
Read more >>

Skypad Living Image

Skypad Living

Luv thy NABERS (for apartments)
Read more >>

Southbank Fashion Image

Southbank Fashion

Spring racing in Southbank
Read more >>

Street Smarts Image

Street Smarts

Power Street – Southbank
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

Tram shame
Read more >>

Sacred Sites

10 Dec 2015

Sacred Sites Image

Wirth’s Park, 4.5 hectares (approx.), was on the site now occupied by the Melbourne Arts Centre.

An American circus had arrived in the District of Port Phillip as early as 1852. Cooper and Bailey’s Great American International Circus became renowned and this was followed by the FitzGerald Brothers’ Circus which became the first Australian circus.

The FitzGerald Brothers built a permanent circus home on the Sturt/ Sloss streets triangle site and the area not used for the circus became a fashionable meeting place called Prince’s Court featuring a Japanese Tea House, open-air theatre, miniature train and a water chute.

In 1906/7 the Wirth Brother’s Circus bought the site from the FitzGerald Brothers and by 1930 they had developed the site to include: The Trocadero Danse Palais (previously called the Green Mil) and a large hippodrome amphitheatre (Wirth’s Olympia) which ran along Sturt St. This was the main arena, a cavernous structure of timber and galvanised iron, elegantly appointed, with a foyer, padded seats and cloak rooms. Wirth’s roller skating rink was alongside Sloss St (and the site of the photograph).

Wirth’s Olympia was not only the place for circus-style performances. It was used for film screenings, garden shows, exhibitions and fairs (for example the Pan-Pacific Exhibition and Fair which ran between May 9 and May 23 in 1923), jazz concerts and YMCA gymnastic displays.

In December 1953 a catastrophic fire left Wirth’s Park in ruin and brought the era to an abrupt end. Sloss St was subsumed by the building of the Arts Centre.

A mosaic linking the arts, cultural and entertainment history of the site and marking the 150th anniversary of circus in Australia was unveiled on June 7, 1988 at the Victorian Arts Centre. This was a joint project between the Circus Fans of Australasia Inc. and the Performing Arts Museum, Victorian Arts Centre.

The Royal Historical Society of Victoria is the historical society for the City of Melbourne. It has a program of exhibitions, lectures and walks. The RHSV is at 239 A’Beckett Street Melbourne. Open Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm. Further information: www.historyvictoria.org.au

Stay in touch with Southbank. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Southbank Local News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.