Columns
Business in Southbank Image

Business in Southbank

Cutting edge living
Read more >>

St Johns Southgate Image

St Johns Southgate

That’s awesome!
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

Electric vehicle charging and the rise of the machines
Read more >>

Montague Community Alliance Image

Montague Community Alliance

At last, a Fishermans Bend Framework!
Read more >>

Metro Tunnel

Building Anzac Station
Read more >>

Federal Politics Image

Federal Politics

Liberals and Nationals ship sheep
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Cladding – remove now, pay later?
Read more >>

Southbanker Image

Southbanker

Walking for a purpose
Read more >>

Housing Image

Housing

We are leaving an intergenerational time bomb for our children
Read more >>

History Image

History

From corporate office to high-end living
Read more >>

Safety and Security

Stifle the opportunity
Read more >>

Southbank Sustainability Group Image

Southbank Sustainability Group

Sustainability talks and Boyd Park
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

Positive psychology for increased wellbeing
Read more >>

Skypad Living Image

Skypad Living

Luv thy NABERS (for apartments)
Read more >>

Pets Corner Image

Pets Corner

Enter the “Shiba Zone”
Read more >>

Southbank Fashion Image

Southbank Fashion

Spring racing in Southbank
Read more >>

Street Smarts Image

Street Smarts

Power Street – Southbank
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

The cost of cladding
Read more >>

Cigarette caused balcony fire

13 Jul 2017

Cigarette caused balcony fire Image

A tossed cigarette caused a balcony fire at the Sentinel apartment complex in Kavanagh St on June 14.

A lit cigarette was discarded from a higher level, landing on a 13th-floor balcony and setting the outdoor furniture in flames.

Melbourne Fire Brigade (MFB) said fire crews arrived at the scene and found thick, black smoke coming out of the balcony.

The fire was quickly put out and did not spread to other apartments.

Discarded cigarettes are one of the most common causes of balcony fires each year.

MFB said cigarettes must be fully extinguished and disposed of in heavy, high-sided ashtrays.

MFB advised apartment residents to remove flammable items from their balconies and keep a dry-powder fire extinguisher at hand.

Stay in touch with Southbank. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Southbank Local News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.