Columns
Residents' Association Image

Residents' Association

A visionary proposal for Southbank
Read more >>

Business in Southbank Image

Business in Southbank

Cutting edge living
Read more >>

St Johns Southgate Image

St Johns Southgate

Religion: It ain’t sexy. Or is it?
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

OCs will be forced to fix dodgy cladding
Read more >>

Montague Community Alliance Image

Montague Community Alliance

Cautious welcome of new governance
Read more >>

Metro Tunnel

Transforming Metro Tunnel construction sites
Read more >>

Federal Politics Image

Federal Politics

Supporting the peaceful struggle of the Tibetans
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Government ignores Airbnb stabbing death
Read more >>

Southbanker Image

Southbanker

Boating on Cloud 9
Read more >>

Housing Image

Housing

We are leaving an intergenerational time bomb for our children
Read more >>

History Image

History

“Mansions” in Southbank
Read more >>

Southbank Sustainability Group Image

Southbank Sustainability Group

Zero waste: personal and community
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

How to break the cycle of fear
Read more >>

Skypad Living Image

Skypad Living

Luv thy NABERS (for apartments)
Read more >>

Pets Corner Image

Pets Corner

Calling out for a companion
Read more >>

Southbank Fashion Image

Southbank Fashion

Spring racing in Southbank
Read more >>

Street Smarts Image

Street Smarts

Power Street – Southbank
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

Name it Domain!
Read more >>

Developer’s request the ‘most arrogant’

14 Dec 2014

Developer’s request the ‘most arrogant’ Image

A developer with the rights to build Australia’s biggest tower at 555 Collins St and over-shadow the Yarra is not satisfied and wants conditions over its form and quality removed.

Fragrance Mel-Vic (Collins) Pty Ltd has asked the State Government for the removal of three conditions that were imposed last year in an incorporated document to the planning scheme.

In discussing the City of Melbourne’s response to the planning department on the request on November 11, Cr Rohan Leppert labeled the application: “possibly the most arrogant request that we have ever looked at”.

Councillors were appalled last year when the Planning Minister Matthew Guy granted permission to build a 400m tower which would over-shadow  Southbank almost to City Rd.

Since then, Fragrance bought the site but now wants the three conditions specified in the incorporated document removed.  

One of the conditions was that the building had to be for commercial use but Fragrance now wants a mixed-use development to include residential.

Condition one reads: “The building must be iconic in nature and design, demonstrate a high degree of architectural merit, provide excellent public realm outcomes, and deliver high quality economic and environmentally sustainable offices.”

Cr Leppert said: “The request to change the incorporated document conditions are an absolute nonsense and our officers have gone one step further to recommend, just as we did back in early 2013, that this incorporated document be removed from the planning scheme entirely. It should never have been put there in the first place.”

Councillors voted unanimously to reject the request and, taking the matter further, also requested the removal of the over-shadowing exemption.

Cr Stephen Mayne said he had some sympathy for the developer should the rules be changed after the purchase but, he said, it should not have happened in the first place.

“There are a range of parties with a lot of questions to answer and I hope that the next planning minister will release some information so we can have a serious inquiry into how the hell this happened,” he said.

“And I certainly hope that the next minister takes our advice and withdraws the incorporated document, although I flag the obvious sovereign risk issue of an international investor who suddenly has the rules of the game changed on them.”

“This has been a sordid chapter the likes of which I hope we never see again,” he said.

The council’s planning chair, Cr Ken Ong, said the lesson for developers was to speak with the council and do their “due diligence”.

He said he could understand developers be confused with agents telling them that almost anything goes in Melbourne.

Stay in touch with Southbank. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Southbank Local News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.