Columns
Residents' Association Image

Residents' Association

Southbank sold out by Planning Minister
Read more >>

Business in Southbank Image

Business in Southbank

Market flexes its mussels!
Read more >>

St Johns Southgate Image

St Johns Southgate

Giving without thought of reward
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

Communicating in vertical villages
Read more >>

Montague Community Alliance

Talking about a NEW generation
Read more >>

Housing

We are losing our social licence to operate
Read more >>

Federal Politics Image

Federal Politics

Embracing our past
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Privy Council gets it, Andrews doesn’t
Read more >>

Southbanker Image

Southbanker

Community comes naturally
Read more >>

History Image

History

Planes crash over Southbank
Read more >>

Skypad Living Image

Skypad Living

Vertical Smarts
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

Understanding and managing anxiety
Read more >>

Pets Corner Image

Pets Corner

Fiona and Daisy at the park
Read more >>

Southbank Fashion Image

Southbank Fashion

Spring racing in Southbank
Read more >>

Street Smarts Image

Street Smarts

Power Street – Southbank
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

A sincere thank you
Read more >>

Shooter charged

06 Jun 2017

Shooter charged Image

Southbank came to a standstill last month following a shooting on Power St, which took place in the early hours of May 18.

A 27-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman were arrested in relation to the firearms incident in South Yarra on May 25. The man, a Chinese national, was charged by the Melbourne Investigation Unit the following day with possession of amphetamines and firearms and assault-related offences.

The woman, also a Chinese national, was released pending further enquiries.

The incident occurred along Power St near Prima Pearl just after 4am on May 18, when an argument is alleged to have ensued between two men.

Southbank Police Station Commander Snr-Sgt Steve Bills told media on the day of the incident that the two men were believed to have known each other.

“It’s not a random shooting. It certainly seems to be a targeting shooting where they’ve actually known each other in some way. How they’ve known each other is something for us to discover,” he said.

“There has been an argument prior to it and then leading into the four shots being let off at the bloke.  The victim hasn’t actually come forward as far as we know.”

It’s believed the two men walked together from Crown Casino to Power St before the incident took place.

According to police, the victim, a 36-year-old Bulleen man, fled the scene at the time of incident but was later treated with non-life threatening injuries in relation to the incident.

Police roped off Power St to traffic between City Rd and Queensbridge St until shortly before 12pm on May 18, causing morning commuters major headaches with city bound traffic diverted up to Queensbridge and Clarendon streets.

Stay in touch with Southbank. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Southbank Local News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.