Community helps shape design of notorious intersection
The Department of Transport (DoT) has held a meeting with Southbank residents in relation to the notorious City Rd-Power St intersection, which is on track to be overhauled in the coming months.
The works come as engineers and road safety specialists have undertaken an “extensive investigation and design process” after a B-double truck hit and injured five pedestrians in May last year.
With one year having now passed since the horrific incident, representatives from the DoT met with residents on May 12 to provide an update on the progress of the intersection’s $3.8 million safety upgrade, which was announced late last year.
The DoT said community consultation had helped shape the design of the intersection, with feedback considered to ensure the upgrade would cater to the needs of the community.
“We will continue to communicate with the City of Melbourne, Southbank residents and businesses, industry bodies and relevant associations as we get closer to delivering the project, including detailing final designs and traffic impacts during and post-construction,” a statement read.
Southbank 3006 vice-president Jannine Pattison said their group was “delighted” to be invited to the meeting at the Boyd Community Hub along with other community leaders and stakeholders.
“I can happily report that there will be some positive changes to the City Rd and Power St intersection. The detailed design has now been finalised and will be put out to tender in the coming weeks,” she said.
Southbank3006 will continue to work closely with the Department of Transport to facilitate community consultation and communication to reduce impacts on those local residents that will be affected by road closures, noise etc.
Southbank Residents’ Association president Tony Penna also attended the meeting, saying it highlighted the importance of the community engaging with the department.
“It about them reaching out so we don’t feel we’re forgotten about. There were a few things they [DoT] learnt, but there was nothing new so to speak; I think it was their way of saying, ‘It’s on track and this is what we plan on doing’,” he said.
In other developments, Ms Pattison submitted a question to the City of Melbourne’s Future Melbourne Committee meeting on May 17, asking if the council would commit to funding a comprehensive traffic management strategy for all of Southbank.
In response, Lord Mayor Sally Capp referred to a prepared statement, saying the City of Melbourne did not have a specific plan for a traffic management strategy in Southbank at this stage.
However, she said council was undertaking area wide studies across the municipality to improve pedestrian safety, amenity, and access.
This included a study for a local area speed limit reduction to 40km/h and local area pedestrian and road safety improvements in Southbank for 2024-25.
Cr Capp added any traffic management strategy or plan for Southbank would build on the work of the City Road Master Plan and align with the strategic intent of the Transport Strategy 2030.
“We’re absolutely aware of the safety issues even at Power and Kavanagh [streets] where we’ve seen increased foot traffic to the supermarket, for example, and the impact of Melbourne Square there and what that’s meant for the neighbourhood,” she said.
“We are committed to keep working with you … [and] ensuring that we can be the champions and deliver good outcomes for you.”
Ms Pattison asked another question on behalf of Southbank3006 regarding the council’s commitment to sustainability and improving the liveability in Southbank.
In response, a council statement stated, “all council’s policies and operational efforts go toward enhancing sustainability for the benefit of existing communities and future generations.”
It said council was also “actively pursuing” additional green open space as well as adopting sustainable building design provisions for inclusion in the planning scheme.