Columns
Residents' Association Image

Residents' Association

We have just come through the storm of the century – apparently
Read more >>

Business in Southbank Image

Business in Southbank

Blockchain is booming!
Read more >>

St Johns Southgate Image

St Johns Southgate

Light in the darkness
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

Strata land 2017: The year in review, and predictions for 2018
Read more >>

Montague Community Alliance

‘tis the season to be grateful … tra la la la…
Read more >>

Housing

We are losing our social licence to operate
Read more >>

Federal Politics Image

Federal Politics

Marriage equality passes Parliament
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Open letter to the Premier of Victoria
Read more >>

Southbanker Image

Southbanker

An advocate for Southbank living
Read more >>

History Image

History

Television – Southbank leads the way
Read more >>

Skypad Living Image

Skypad Living

Vertical Smarts
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

Mental health makes our physical health
Read more >>

Councillor Profile Image

Councillor Profile

The making of a lord mayor
Read more >>

Pets Corner Image

Pets Corner

Our happiest resident!
Read more >>

Southbank Fashion Image

Southbank Fashion

Spring racing in Southbank
Read more >>

Street Smarts Image

Street Smarts

Power Street – Southbank
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

A sincere thank you
Read more >>

Love lock campaign

11 Jun 2015

Love lock campaign Image

Southbank resident Kevin Neville has initiated an online campaign in response to the City of Melbourne’s decision to remove more than 20,000 locks from the Southbank footbridge.

The 45-year-old father of two launched a Facebook page last month entitled “Love Locks on Southbank Bridge – Save Them, Return Them” to provide an opportunity for the public to share stories and ideas for how the removed locks can be put to use.

It follows a letter Mr Neville sent to Lord Mayor Robert Doyle questioning the City of Melbourne’s decision to remove the locks without giving sufficient notice to the public.

He and his two daughters had attached locks to the bridge in September 2013 with engraved messages on them and said he would have appreciated the opportunity to retrieve them.

“Look, in the whole scheme of world affairs it’s not a major issue but people put them there and they would have been sentimental to them,” he said.

“For someone it might be a memory of a lost one or something like that and not everyone would have had in that two days an opportunity to retrieve them and I thought that just two days notice was pretty rough.”

After announcing its decision on Monday, May 18, the City of Melbourne ordered workers to start removing the locks on the following Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the City of Melbourne said the wires were sagging under the weight and causing a safety issue with the barrier rather than any sort of structural problem.

Speaking on radio last month, Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said he was open to ideas on how the removed locks could be used.

“If anyone has any idea what I can do with 20,000 locks I’d love to hear it – that and the 40,000 keys now at the bottom of the Yarra River,” he said.

In his letter to the Lord Mayor, Mr Neville wrote: “When I see my little girls’ locks it reminds me to never give up trying to be a part of their lives.”

He admitted that, while the locks couldn’t go on being attached forever, he said the council could have been more “transparent” for those who wished to retrieve them.

Mr Neville encouraged members of the public to share their personal stories on the Facebook page as well as suggestions for how the locks could be used in creating a new tourist attraction for Melbourne.

“I thought, with there being 20,000 locks removed, which is basically 40,000 people, the council did it pretty swiftly and I guess you could say the love locks didn’t have a voice,” he said.

“I just created the Facebook page for people to hopefully “like” it and, if they do, we could get enough support and could maybe go to the Lord Mayor with a recommendation.”

The City of Melbourne is yet to confirm what it will do with the locks.

To share your thoughts or like the page visit:
www.facebook.com/pages/Love-Locks-on-Southbank-Bridge-Save-Them-Return-Them

Stay in touch with Southbank. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Southbank Local News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.