Attack in Southbank leaves man with life-threatening injuries
A man has been left with life-threatening injuries and two men with facial injuries after an assault in Southbank on October 30.
Police have been told two groups of men appeared to argue as they were leaving a bar along Riverside Quay about 12.40am.
“As the men spilled out onto the promenade footpath three men appear to have been set upon by two men, who began punching into the trio,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.
A 25-year-old man from Springvale was struck heavily to the face before he fell and hit his head on the ground.
The two other men, aged 24 and 25 from Keysborough and Cheltenham, received injuries to their faces.
“The pair who appeared to be the aggressors and involved in the assault fled the scene,” the spokesperson said.
A 26-year-old man has been charged with affray, recklessly cause serious injury and recklessly cause injury in relation to the incident after police executed a search warrant at a residence in Altona Meadows on November 4.
Melbourne Crime Investigation Unit detectives are investigating and have appealed to witnesses to come forward.
Just hours after the incident, police were called to a brawl in the CBD in which an alleged stabbing left one man dead.
Police were called to Bourke St about 5.45am after reports a group of people had been fighting.
Two men suffered stab wounds and were taken to hospital in a critical condition.
One of the men, who is yet to be formally identified, later died in hospital while the second man remained in hospital.
A 19-year-old Broadmeadows man was arrested at the scene for affray and continued to assist police with their enquiries.
At the time of publishing, police said no arrests had been made in relation to the fatal stabbing.
Homicide Squad detectives are investigating with the exact circumstances surrounding the incident yet to be determined.
Anyone who witnessed or have information relating to the Southbank or CBD incident are urged to to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. •